The 27th Annual Alaska Health Summit Tackles Topics Like Health Care Reform, Chronic Disease, Behavioral Health and MoreOne hundred speakers will join health-care providers, government leaders, advocates, scientists, and community members from across the state to discuss and debate issues like health-care reform, chronic disease and behavioral health during the Alaska Health Summit from Dec. 7 to 9 at the Sheraton Anchorage Hotel. This year’s summit includes sessions on topics like parental depression, oral health care, obesity, suicide prevention, smoke-free public housing, the 2009 H1N1 influenza pandemic and the impact of health-care reform on Alaska. The event presented by the Alaska Public Health Association will focus on the theme, “Small Steps-Big Impact.” Find out more about this year’s program at http://www.alaskapublichealth.org/summit.shtml.
Keynote speakers include:
· Lawrence Green, DrPH, adjunct professor in the Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, and co-leader of the Society, Diversity and Disparities Program, School and Medicine and Comprehensive Cancer Center, University of California at San Francisco.
· William Beardslee, MD, director of the Preventive Intervention Project at the Judge Baker Children’s Center. Dr. Beardslee is also on the faculty at the Harvard Graduate School of Education.
· Terry Wise, JD, former trial attorney and suicide survivor. Ms. Wise has received a national Mental Health Award for “distinguished achievement and work that has had a major impact on the depression community.”
· Ward Hurlburt, MD, MPH, chief medical officer and director of the Division of Public Health, Department of Health and Social Services.
· Deborah Erickson, executive director of the Alaska Health Care Commission, and most recently the acting director, Division of Public Health. Ms. Erickson was awarded the first American Public Health Association Distinguished Achievement Award in 2004 for her work with the Turning Point Public Health Statue Modernization Collaborative.
· Paul Glassman, DMD, professor of dental practice and director of community oral health at the University of the Pacific, Arthur A. Dugoni School of Dentistry in San Francisco.
· Angelia Morris, DNP, MS, RN, SANE-A, assistant professor for Community Health Nursing at the University of Alaska Anchorage and a forensic nurse examiner.
· Stephen Bezruchka, MD, AM , MPH, faculty at the Department of Health Sciences, University of Washington, Department of Global Health MPH Program.
This year’s Summit includes a Tuesday Evening Forum - the Impact of health reform in Alaska. This forum will be moderated by Pat Luby, advocacy director, AARP; Senator Hollis French, chair, Health and Social Services Committee for the Alaska Legislature; Dick Mandsager, MD, CEO Providence Hospital; and John Riley, PA-C, physician assistant program coordinator, University of Alaska Anchorage.
What: 27th Annual Alaska Heath Summit
When: December 7-9, 2009, 8 to 5 p.m.
Where: Sheraton Anchorage Hotel, 401 East Sixth Avenue, Anchorage
Who: Presented by the Alaska Public Health Association in partnership with sponsors
Registration is available at the door-
One day registration $215 for non-ALPHA members
Three day registration $425 for non-ALPHA members