Alaska SeaLife Center Seeks Nominations for Ocean Leadership Awards
“Ocean Heroes” to be recognized at Alaska Marine Gala in Anchorage this January
Seward, AK – December 7, 2009 – In a state where the ocean influences so many aspects of our lives, there’s a new opportunity to celebrate individuals and organizations who have contributed to ocean sciences, education, media, and management.
The Alaska SeaLife Center is accepting nominations for its first-ever Alaska Ocean Leadership Awards, which will be presented at the Alaska Marine Gala this January 17, 2010 at the Dena’ina Center in Anchorage. Marine explorer Jean-Michel Cousteau will be the featured speaker at the event, and Arliss Sturgulewski will present the awards.
The Alaska Ocean Leadership Awards were established to encourage and recognize outstanding achievements of individuals and organizations in the following categories:
- Ocean Media, for excellence in journalism dealing with marine issues by producing an outstanding film, book, article, radio, or television report that raised public awareness of Alaska’s oceans;
- Stewardship and Sustainability, for an industry initiative that demonstrates commitment to sustainability of ocean resources;
- Marine Research, for a scientist or team of scientists who have made an original breakthrough contribution to knowledge about our marine ecosystem;
- Ocean Literacy, for excellence in marine education and building ocean literacy;
- Lifetime Achievement, for an individual or institution that has made an exceptional contribution to management of Alaska’s coastal and ocean resources over a period 25 years or more.
Nominations are due by December 11, 2010. Additional information and forms can be found at www.alaskasealife.org/alaskamarinegala/awards or by e-mailing email@example.com. Individual tickets and tables for the Alaska Marine Gala are also available on the web site or by calling Susheela Roach at (907) 224-6890.
Posted: December 7, 2009