2013 Elders & Youth Conference Call for Presentations: Apply by this Friday, August 23!
2013 Elders & Youth Conference
Call for Presentations
FAI is actively seeking presentation proposals from individuals and/or organizations wishing to present during the Elders & Youth Conference at the Carlson Center in Fairbanks, Alaska, October 21-23, 2013!
Submission Deadline: Friday, August 23, 2013
Presentations should be clearly tied to the conference theme, strive to achieve the purposes of the Conference, and be grounded in the celebration of who we are as Alaska Native peoples. The 2013 conference theme is: “We Are Our Ancestors.”
Topics may include, but are not limited to: culture, language, Native knowledge, leadership, identity, environment, land use, traditional foods and medicines, traditional and customary hunting, fishing and gathering, law, governance and policy, history, heritage, tradition, storytelling, dance instruction, education, health and wellness, spirituality, empowerment, art workshops, community building and organizing, successful models of youth and Elder programs, resiliency, etc.
Conference Purpose & Objectives
- Provide an opportunity for Elders and youth to interact with and learn from each other.
- Inspire pride in cultural identity and heritage.
- Grow knowledge of community, culture, traditions, family, and self towards understanding the unique role that each person plays in our collective identity.
- Strengthen participants’ understanding and engagement with topics relevant to the Alaska Native community.
- Empower youth leadership, innovation, commitment and sharing of their knowledge.
- Foster statewide networking, sharing, discussion, and community building.
- Prepare participants to be engaged and take action after the conference and in their lives by nurturing a practice of learning and leading.
Please see attached 2013 Call for Presentations document to submit your presentation proposal, and please distribute this message widely within your network!
Thank you / Baasee’ !