Edit ModuleShow Tags
Edit ModuleShow Tags

Does the IRS Owe You Money?


The Internal Revenue Service may have money for certain taxpayers. If a taxpayer’s income was below the limit that required them to file a tax return, they may still be due a refund.

“Both unclaimed refunds and undeliverable refunds are monies that are owed to taxpayers that can definitely help their pocketbooks in these challenging economic times,” said IRS spokesman David A. Tucker II.

If a taxpayer has not filed a prior year tax return and is due a refund, they should consider filing the return to claim that refund. If a taxpayer is missing a refund for a previously filed tax return, they should contact the IRS to check the status of their refund and confirm their current address.

Unclaimed Refunds

Some people may have had taxes withheld from their wages but were not required to file a tax return because they had too little income. Others may not have had any tax withheld but would be eligible for the refundable Earned Income Tax Credit.

· To collect this money a return must be filed with the IRS no later than three years from the due date of the return.

· If no return is filed to claim the refund within three years, the money becomes the property of the U.S. Treasury.

· There is no penalty assessed by the IRS for filing a late return qualifying for a refund.

· Current and prior year tax forms and instructions are available on the Forms and Publications page of IRS.gov or by calling 800-TAX-FORM (800-829-3676).

· Information about the Earned Income Tax Credit and how to claim it is also available on IRS.gov.

Undeliverable Refunds

Is the taxpayer expecting a refund check but didn't receive it?

· Refund checks are mailed to the taxpayer’s last known address. Checks are returned to the IRS if they move without notifying the IRS or the U.S. Postal Service.

· Taxpayers may be able to update their address with the IRS on the “Where’s My Refund?” feature available on IRS.gov. They will be prompted to provide an updated address if there is an undeliverable check outstanding within the last 12 months.

· They can also ensure the IRS has their correct address by filing Form 8822, Change of Address, which is available on IRS.gov or can be ordered by calling 800-TAX-FORM (800-829-3676).

· If a taxpayer does not have access to the Internet and thinks they may be missing a refund, they should first check their records or contact their tax preparer. If their refund information appears correct, call the IRS toll-free assistance line at 800-829-1040 to check the status of their refund and confirm their address.


Edit Module

Add your comment: