Frankenfish is "Messing with Mother Nature"
Alaskan Impact: Genetically engineered salmon, or “Frankenfish,” is a concern for Alaska’s environment and Alaska’s industry, but also for the health of all potential consumers worldwide. Today, Senator Murkowski spotlighted her concerns in a hearing of the Senate Health, Labor, Education and Pensions (HELP) Committee about the “chaos” that GE salmon could put on America’s dinner plates – and afterwards a number of her colleagues indicated they share her concern.
Murkowski: “For us fish lovers, this is a cause of concern.” (Click on boxes for video of Senators Murkowski, Harkin, Whitehouse and Merkley.)
Treating the Needs of Alaskan Veterans
Alaskan Impact: Alaska has more veterans per capital than any other state – many of whom welcomed recent news that the Veterans Administration is adding 1900 staff members to help with unprecedented demands on its mental health programs. That’s good news for veterans who on average wait 50 days to receive a full mental health evaluation. The Veterans Affairs Committee heard concerns from those on the frontlines of mental health.
Senate Veterans’ Affairs Committee Hearing
Topic: “VA Mental Health”
- William Schoenhard, Veterans Health Administration, Department of Veterans Affairs
- Nick Tolentino, Operation Iraqi Freedom veteran and former VA
- Linda Halliday, Office of Inspector General, Department of Veterans Affairs
- Thomas S. Jones, MajGen, USMC (Ret.), Executive Director, Outdoor Odyssey
Nick Tolentino to Senator Scott Brown: “There are barriers on the frontlines that aren’t being heard on this level.”
House of Representatives Events
Using DNA to Solve Cold Cases
Alaskan Impact: Recent advancements in DNA technology have improved law enforcement's ability to use DNA to solve old cases.. Today, the House Judiciary Committee discussed legislation that would require the Attorney General to enhance searches of the National DNA Index System.
House Judiciery Committee Hearing
Topic: “DNA Technology and Cold Cases”
Expected to testify:
- Dennis Kilcoyne, Los Angeles Police Department
- Peter Marone, director of the Virginia Department of Forensic Science
- Henry Greely, professor of law at Stanford Law School
Watch the entire hearing online: http://1.usa.gov/Ibcqz9