Healthy Alaska Natives Foundation Donates $100,000 to Improve Alaska Native Health
The Health Alaska Natives Foundation recently made its first donation of $100,000 to various Alaska Native Tribal Health Consortium programs.
The Healthy Alaska Natives Foundation is ANTHC’s charitable arm, and works to raise awareness and funding to further ANTHC’s vision: that Alaska Native people are the healthiest people in the world. Proceeds support health care improvements and initiatives that promote wellness and prevention efforts, as well as healthy village environments. The Healthy Alaska Natives Foundation was established in 2007 to coincide with the 10th anniversary of the creation of ANTHC.
“This is the first big distribution of funds on behalf of the Healthy Alaska Natives Foundation,” said Carrie Brown, Director of the Healthy Alaska Natives Foundation. “The Foundation itself is not that old and it’s impressive that it is already paying these kinds of dividends to help further ANTHC’s mission of making Alaska Native people the healthiest in the world.”
Funding for the Foundation is generated through donor funding, the annual Raven’s Ball black-tie benefit, ANTHC employee contributions and ANTHC funding.
Programs were selected to receive funds based on need and alignment with the Foundation’s key initiatives:
· Contract Health’s Behavioral Health department’s Mindy Schloss Memorial Fund, to help fund a statewide meth/suicide prevention campaign: $23,000
· Alaska Native Medical Center Oncology Department, for cancer care: $21,000
· Dental Health Aide Therapist program: $37,700
· Division of Community Health Service’s Wellness and Prevention program: $3,500
· HIV/STD Prevention Center’s wellness and prevention outreach: $3,500
· Division of Community Health Elder Care Program: $2,700
· Employee Development and Training Department’s Native educational assistance scholarship fund: $5,700
· Injury PreventionCenter’s Healthy Village Environments Fund: $3,000
About the Healthy Alaska Natives Foundation
The Healthy Alaska Natives Foundation was created by the Alaska Native Tribal Health Consortium to improve medical care, environmental health conditions and community health for all Alaska Native people. For more information on the Healthy Alaska Natives Foundation, call (907) 729-5652 or visit the new Web site: www.inspiringgoodhealth.org.
About the Alaska Native Tribal Health Consortium
The Alaska Native Tribal Health Consortium is a non-profit health organization owned and managed by Alaska Native tribal governments and their regional health organizations. For more information, please visit www.anthc.org.
Posted: April 1, 2010