ACS Brings Mobile Wi-Fi Hotspot Technology to Alaska’s Largest 3G Network
ANCHORAGE, Alaska, April 1 -- Alaska Communications Systems Group, Inc. (“ACS”) (NASDAQ: ALSK), Alaska's leading integrated communications provider, today announced the arrival of the Novatel Wireless MiFi 2200 Intelligent Mobile Hotspot.
On sale now, the MiFi Mobile Hotspot lets customers create a personal Wi-Fi cloud that can be easily shared among up to five users and a variety of Wi-Fi enabled devices such as laptops, cameras, gaming devices and multimedia players.
The MiFi is small enough to fit in a pocket, measuring 3.5” x 2.3” x 0.4” and weighing only 2.05 ounces. Its rechargeable battery provides up to four hours of active use and 40 hours of standby time on a single charge.
“The MiFi Mobile Hotspot offers unprecedented possibilities for students, mobile workers, businesses and families to stay connected on the go,” said Janet Klatt, ACS director of wireless products. “Now customers will be able to use one mobile broadband device to connect multiple personal devices or multiple users.”
Examples of MiFi uses:
- College student: a college student carries her MiFi in her backpack and meets with classmates at a local pizza shop. She uses it to listen to streaming radio on her MP3 player while she connects to the school’s Intranet on her laptop to get details on their group’s project. Her friends can use the MiFi to connect and research different aspects of the project and collaborate online.
- Businesses and non-profits: You have a group meeting off-site and there is no Internet connection, but you need to access your Intranet and do a live web demo.
- Tradeshows: Five vendors at a local trade show have kiosks with close proximity. Accessing one MiFi device’s signal, they each can run live demos of their company websites and share product tutorials.
- Family road trip: You’re on a family road trip and are using your laptop to pull-up local maps. But, your nephew wants to download the latest U2 song to his MP3 player and your niece wants to connect her netbook to the Internet.
- Construction site: You’re on a new construction site and don’t yet have a broadband connection to your trailer, but you need to download the latest change order.
The MiFi mobile hotspot works by creating a personal cloud of high-speed Internet from anywhere there is a cellular connection.
“With the dependability and coverage of ACS’ 3G network, MiFi users will appreciate the best possible 3G coverage in Alaska. And, with our roaming partner in the Lower 48, ACS customers will experience the fastest and broadest 3G coverage when traveling outside of the state, including Canada,” said Klatt.
The MiFi 2200 Intelligent Mobile Hotspot from Novatel Wireless will be available online at www.acsalaska.com/MiFi and in ACS stores for $99.99 after a $30 mail-in rebate with a new two-year service agreement. Monthly price plans start at just $30 per month. Visit www.acsalaska.com/MiFi for details.